Which Garage Door Suits Your Lifestyle Needs?
If you are looking to replace your garage door then look no further than this article to help you decide which type to choose. Believe it or not, there are over 50 types of garage door available to buy in the UK today. Don’t worry we are not going to list all of them below, just the most popular categories to help with your choice.
Automated Garage Door
Your first garage door choice should be manual or automated. Is your garage internally connected to your house? Would it be beneficial for you to be able to arrive home in inclement conditions and go from car to home without getting wet? Automated garage doors fit this requirement perfectly with the ability to open from the comfort of your vehicle as you arrive home. If you have shopping or other cargo, then this can be transferred from your car all undercover and in privacy with an automated garage door. With added security too, an automated garage door is one of the most popular additions to garages.
Up and Over Garage Door
The old favourite, where power is not an option, is the up and over garage door. If you are looking to perhaps automate in the future, then make sure you go for the retractable mechanism as this is much easier to work with should you go for that upgrade.
Roller Shutter Garage Door
If you are looking to both save space and also look great, then our advice is to go for the roller shutter garage door option. These come in a wide range of colours and designs to set off the look of your new home addition. With added security too featured in their design these garage doors are future proof and also make your whole residence look modern and secure.
Sectional Garage Doors
The architect’s dream in the garage door. Available, not only, in steel but these garage doors also come with the widest colour availability on the market today. Most colours can be matched which give you something unique should you wish. Automated or manual they are secure, just like the Roller shutter garage door, sealed all around with rubber gaskets and also save you space with their mechanism.
Side Hinged Garage Doors
If you are looking to use your garage just for storage or you have limited space, including height, then we would advise looking at a Side Hinged Garage Door. They come in a large range of steel or wood, multiple colours and can even have a multitude of different forms of glazing within them.
Sliding Garage Doors
Our final selection to showcase is the wonderfully bespoke sliding garage door. Space-saving design, manual or automated whilst offering quick and easy access made to measure sliding sectional garage doors could be what you are after for your property.
Let’s look at our summary of our top ten top tips to help you choose the correct garage door for your home.
- Get your measurements correct, as this can determine what type of door you can have.
- Use a visualisation tool to see what your choice will look like before you buy it
- If you choose a wooden garage door be prepared to treat it every couple of years.
- Consider the security aspect, especially if you are having glazing installed in the door.
- Ensure that if you want automation in the future to pick a door that can accommodate.
- If you live near the coast, then choose a garage door which will not corrode.
- If you live in an exposed area such as the countryside, then consider a sectional door to protect against the elements.
- A security rated garage door may well reduce your home insurance quote.
- If you are going to work in your garage then consider a thermal insulated garage door.
- Use a professional installation company who will give you a guarantee and only ask for payment when they have completed the job.
Thanks for reading our info on garage door types, we hope it has been of use.